Overall Job Objective
|Job Title:||Maintenance and Operations Specialist (backhoe operator)|
|Closing Date/Time:||Thu. 01/19/17 6:00 PM Arizona Time|
|Salary:||$19.99 - $27.98 Hourly|
$41,569.42 - $58,197.15 Annually
|Location:||22358 S. Ellsworth Road, Queen Creek, AZ 85142, Arizona|
This is the forth level in the Maintenance & Operations series. Incumbents in this class may be assigned in any of the following areas: 1) Water / Wastewater, 2) Street Maintenance, 3) Parks & Ground Maintenance; or 4) Horseshoe Park & Equestrian Centre (HPEC). Incumbents perform journey level skilled activities and operate heavy equipment related to installation, maintenance, and repair related to area of assignment.
This job opportunity is in the area of Water Repair Crew.
|Examples of Duties:|
|TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)|
Duties related to ALL assignments:
1. Operates, maintains, and repairs a variety of hand, power tools, welding equipment, trucks, tractors, heavy equipment, and/or a variety of other light equipment.
2. Operates heavy construction equipment which will vary depending on assigned area. Equipment may include but is not limited to: backhoes, graders, front-end loaders, forklifts, street sweepers, large trucks, sewer combination cleaners, arena grooming equipment, skid steer, dump truck, water truck, vacuum truck and gang mowers for a variety of construction and maintenance operations involving streets, wastewater systems, and park maintenance;
3. Maintains and controls inventory including tracking inventory used per work orders and new parts and materials received.
4. Maintains written work records, including complaint resolution, maintenance and repair logs, flow records, and daily work logs.
5. Performs recordkeeping and shop maintenance.
6. Follows safety procedures, utilizes safety equipment, and monitors work environment; reports any concerns in a timely manner.
7. Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
When Assigned to the Water / Wastewater area:
1. Maintains and operates the excavation equipment.
2. Performs various tasks associated with water distribution system maintenance projects: installs, repairs, and maintains water mains, service lines, fire hydrants, and valves; repairs, flushes, replaces, fire hydrants; repairs water main breaks and water service line leaks; replaces broken angle stops; taps and installs new water services; disconnects old services from main lines; installs and exercises valves; raises valve boxes to grade; repairs.
3. Locates water mains, lines, and valves using maps and electronic locators; traces water service; cuts and removes asphalt, sidewalk, curb and gutter for service and mainline breaks, repairs and cleans and preps for new asphalt and curb gutter and sidewalks; repairs and installs new irrigation lines and services;
4. Investigates complaints pertaining to water leaks, pressure, odor, or taste; conducts flow tests; tests water samples;
5. Performs various tasks associated with wastewater collection system maintenance projects: inspects collection lines using camera/televising equipment; cleans and maps collection lines; repairs main lines, lateral lines, and manholes; contains and cleans up sanitary sewer overflows; installs sewer lines; inspects new construction; inspects collection manholes; applies insecticide to manholes;
6. Participates in monthly meter locks and unlocks;
7. Responds to emergency situations during regular work hours and when on call once fully trained; determine what equipment and personnel are needed to handle emergency situation;
8. Evaluates lines for pre-treatment; tests gas levels in air/water; repairs; assists with cleaning, and preventive maintenance of lift stations; assists in removing lift station pumps; pours assist in the repair and maintenance of manholes and finishes concrete.
9. Perform calibration on gas monitors, rattlers and on pH and gas meters associated with odor equipment; inspect and replace odalog or jarome in the odor control program;
10. Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
| Typical Qualifications:|
|Training and Experience (positions in this class typically require):|
High school diploma or GED; supplemented by vocational/technical training in heavy equipment operation, vehicle operation, and specific area of assignment; supplemented by two (2) years relevant experience directly related to the area of assignment; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this job.
The hiring department may include assignment specific job related experience, specific training or license and certification preferences at the time of recruitment.
Licensing Requirements - for this recruitment with the area of assignment being Water Repair Services, this position requires the following (or must obtain within 6 months of hire date):
| Supplemental Information:|
|Knowledge (for ALL positions, requirements at entry):|
• General mechanics;
• Equipment operations;
• Occupational hazards and safe work practices;
• Customer service principles;
• Specialty area depending on assignment.
For Water/Wastewater assignment, knowledge of:
• Water distribution systems, wastewater collection systems and/or Irrigation systems;
• Methods, materials, tools, and standard practices for the installation, maintenance, operation, repair, and inspection of water and waste water distribution/ collection systems, irrigation systems and related equipment;
• Various hand and power tool and equipment operation;
• Utility locating;
• Occupational hazards and safe work practices including open trench safety.
Skills (For ALL positions, requirements at entry):
• Communication both verbal and written, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
• Maintaining productive working relationships.
• Problem solving;
• Understanding and interpreting schedules;
• Operating hand and power tools, light and medium equipment, and cleaning equipment;
• Operating heavy equipment (equipment may vary depending on area of assignment);
• Basic skill and knowledge of computer usage and software programs.
For Water/Wastewater assignment, skill in:
• Performing various reading comprehensions;
• Basic skill and knowledge of computer usage and software programs including Excel, infraMAP and ArcGIS;
• Reading maps.