Billing and Compliance Specialist - Utilities
This recruitment will remain open until filled with the first review of applications on 7/28/20 and weekly thereafter. This recruitment may close at any time after 7/28/20 without notice.
Incumbent is responsible for creating Town of Queen Creek utility bills and ensuring utility accounts are billed timely, accurately, and are timely received by Town customers. Includes establishing, billing, adjusting, auditing, and processing utility accounts; system testing, monitoring, analyzing and correcting utility billing discrepancies; making billing adjustments; creating and reviewing reports to identify billing errors and quality controls; reviewing unusual utility account activity and making necessary adjustments.
- Examples of Duties
TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)
1. Utilizes operational systems to calculate, create, print, and distribute accurate and timely utility bills to Town of Queen Creek customers; may be required to work extended hours to accommodate billing, including into the evening hours;
2. Communicates directly with customers by phone, in person, and via electronic or physical correspondence regarding billing corrections or leak adjustments;
3. Analyzes and generates statistical reports, forms, and other system documents to ensure quality of output, to identify billing issues and to make necessary changes in the billing system;
4. Routinely monitors and evaluates effectiveness, efficiency, and accuracy of system and reports and responds accordingly. Administers and modify current reports and/or creates new ones;
5. Handles special investigations of non-routine billing discrepancies; and identifying and working with Utilities to correct meter reading errors that affect billing;
6. Verifies accuracy and imports vital data from other peripheral systems (meter reading, payment processing, etc.) into the utility billing system;
7. Supports system administration by testing new and existing systems, programs, upgrades and any peripheral system or devices that interface with the utility billing system;
8. Analyzes problems and works with IT to make modifications when needed to ensure successful migration into existing billing system and any new systems or upgrades.
9. Assists in evaluating and created Standard Operating Procedures used in Customer Service;
10. Prepares and/or updates graphs or Excel spreadsheets in order to maintain, analyze, and track customer data, billing information, and meter reading statistics;
11. Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- Typical Qualifications
Training and Experience (positions in this class typically require):
Associate's Degree or technical certificate and three years full-time experience in a utility provider environment involving billing customers, billing procedures, quality controls, reports, account maintenance, and customer contact skills; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
- Supplemental Information
Knowledge (position requirements at entry):
- Customer service billing best practices, policies, procedures, and techniques for a residential and commercial utility billing operation;
- Computerized Utility Billing Customer Information System (CIS) system, all related peripheral systems and devices and specialized software applications;
- Meter reading operations, imports, systems and interfaces;
- Monitoring CIS systems and interfaces for quality and accuracy of billing
- Creating system reports, Crystal reports, and formulas and spreadsheets in Excel;
- Hardware and software configuration, testing and set up;
- Principles and procedures in financial record keeping and reporting.
- Financial recordkeeping methods including maintaining, adjusting, and making credits, and debits to utility accounts;
Skills (position requirements at entry):
- Calculating and creating accurate utility bills utilizing a utility billing (CIS) system.
- Prioritizing workload and managing time effectively to meet critical deadlines
- Maintaining complex records with accuracy and researching information and data to prepare clear and concise reports;
- Applying analytical thinking to analyze and interpret mathematical and billing information;
- Communicating complex ideas effectively both orally and in writing with a high degree of accuracy;
- Following a problem from its inception to solution in a timely manner;