IT Security Analyst
Incumbent performs advanced level assessment of information risk and facilitates remediation of identified vulnerabilities for Information Technology security and Information Technology risk. Incumbents perform highly specialized technical duties and procedures necessary to ensure the confidentiality, integrity and availability of Information systems assets at the Town of Queen Creek, and protect systems from unauthorized access or intentional misuse or destruction. Identifies opportunities to reduce risk and documents remediation options regarding acceptance or mitigation of risk scenarios. Facilitates and monitors performance of risk remediation tasks, changes related to risk mitigation and reports on findings. Performs duties associated with the daily tactical and operational administration of technology security systems, performs regular vulnerability scans of systems and applications, and works with other Information Technology professionals on the remediation of security found or discovered issues. The Information Technology Security Analyst will also participate in incident response, investigation and reporting of computer security incidents.
Special Requirements when assigned to the Police Department:
A thorough background investigation will also be conducted which includes a polygraph examination.
- Examples of Duties
TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)
1. Recommends and advises on network security technologies, maintains security tools and responds to security events/alerts.
2. Maintains network security enforcement and operational policy tools.
3. Secures and analyzes Town network infrastructure.
4. Acts as technical security lead for firewalls, servers, VPN and other network devices, and related processes and procedures.
5. Makes firewall changes as necessary.
6. Performs system security evaluations.
7. Oversees backups and ensures data integrity, restores data when needed and ensures that proper backup processes and procedures are in place.
8. Provides technical advice, problem solving assistance, and answers to questions regarding security program standards and procedures to both internal and external stakeholders.
9. Acts as liaison and backup to building security systems administrators to ensure accurate and current physical access controls.
10. Makes security recommendations and provides guidance to technology project teams to ensure that new technologies are developed and implemented based on policy and best practice.
11. Works with third party security advisors to perform routine and ad-hoc security audits and assessments, documentation, reporting and review through the
execution of remote and on-site vulnerability scans of data networks and computing devices using commercial or open source vulnerability/threat
assessment and scanning tools.
12. Works with system and network administrators to correct security-related vulnerabilities and events when detected.
13. Provides incident response and remediation support.
14. Participates in the evaluation and development of IT security policies, standards, procedures and best practices.
15. Collaborates on the network and security systems architecture, design and capacity planning for new products and technologies associated with information security.
16. Leads the promotion of security awareness program among Town employees.
17. Provides 24/7 on call support during non-business hours as needed.
18. Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with Town policies and procedures.
19. Works in a safe manner and reports unsafe activity and conditions. Follows Town-wide safety policy and practices and adheres to responsibilities concerning safety
prevention, reporting and monitoring as outlined in the Town’s Safety Handbook.
20. Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- Typical Qualifications
Training and Experience (positions in this class typically require):
Bachelor’s Degree in information technology, GIS or computer science and five years of related information technology experience in an assigned area; or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job.
- Supplemental Information
Knowledge (position requirements at entry):
- Windows Active Directory environments.
- Malware and spyware mitigation, removal tools and techniques.
- Strong understanding of TCP/IP and Ethernet networks.
- Customer service principles and practices.
- Microsoft App-V and Hyper-V, VMware ESXi, Citrix XenApp and XenDesktop
- Communication and presentation skills, both oral and written.
- Interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
- Time management/ability to multitask.
- Project management practices and principles.
- Analytical problem solving.