Incumbents perform journey level, skilled maintenance and repair mechanic work on medium to heavy equipment, including diesel-powered equipment. May at times serve as lead to other fleet employees. Incumbents completes apparatus inspections and performs maintenance, testing, and repair on all types of firefighting equipment.
This position has been identified as a safety-sensitive position by Human Resources, per State and/or Federal Law. Upon conditional offer of employment, the candidate selected will be required to undergo testing for alcohol and controlled substances within twenty-four (24) hours of acceptance of the offer.
- Examples of Duties
TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)
1. Diagnoses and repairs electrical, mechanical and hydraulic systems on a wide range of vehicles, including heavy construction equipment; repair and adjust gasoline and diesel engines, fuel systems, transmissions, and other mechanical devises.
2. Performs general mechanical repair work on vehicles, trucks, light equipment, heavy machinery, road machinery, specialized equipment, gasoline/diesel engines, generators, or other automotive/mechanical equipment.
3. Inspects, tests, and diagnoses problems involving various systems/components of vehicles or equipment, such as gasoline/diesel engines, ignition systems, computerized engine controls, electronic fuel injection systems, transmissions, differentials, steering systems, electrical systems, suspension systems, hydraulic systems, brake systems, drive train systems, engine cooling systems, fuel systems, charging systems, starting systems, exhaust systems, emission systems, inflatable restraint systems, heating/air conditioning systems, lighting systems, cameras/recorders, sirens, or horns.
4. Examines vehicles to determine necessary repair or maintenance work: conducts diagnostic computer testing; consults with drivers or equipment operators to obtain input on problems, assist in diagnosing problems, or prevent future problems; determines parts/supplies necessary to conduct repairs.
5. Diagnoses and repairs vehicle component systems and sub-systems for electrical, fuel supply, air conditioning, hydraulic and pneumatic systems, brakes, drive train, suspension, exhaust, and engine cooling systems; performs arc and acetylene welding as required; fabricates and modifies metal parts and components; perform body repair and other metal component repairs; transports equipment from the field to the repair shop facility; performs emergency repairs in the field as required; identifies and reports vehicle problems requiring additional maintenance and repair; notifies supervisor of repair problems.
6. Performs routine and preventive maintenance on vehicles and equipment to maximize their life cycle, reduce downtime and improve productivity of Town employees; performs specialized repair and maintenance work to bring vehicles and equipment into compliance with safety and regulatory requirements.
7. Operates vehicles and equipment requiring a Commercial Driver's License.
8. Performs recordkeeping, inventory and shop maintenance activities; assists with inventory and purchase of parts; orders parts as needed, enters data into computer system; maintains records or parts requisitions, inventory and work orders; keeps a variety of logs concerning vehicles, including mileage, fuel and oil purchases and billing.
9. Follows safety procedures, utilizes safety equipment, and monitors work environment to ensure safety of employees and other individuals; reports accidents and incidents; perform due inspections to determine if vehicles pass or pass emissions and submits monthly reports to ADEQ.
10. Completes apparatus inspections and performs maintenance, testing, and repair on all types of firefighting equipment.
11. May be subject to off-hour call for major fire and other emergencies.
12. Performs related duties as assigned.
- Typical Qualifications
Training and Experience (positions in this class typically require):
Vocational Degree and four years of specialized mechanic experience of medium and heavy equipment, as well as passenger cars and trucks; must possess and maintain a valid class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL); combination of four (4) years experience repairing and maintaining Fire apparatus, heavy-duty trucks and construction equipment, or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
- Supplemental Information
Knowledge (position requirements at entry):
* General mechanics, including the methods, materials, tools, and standard practices;
* Computer controlled systems, as related to engines , transmissions, body, etc.
* Equipment operations;
* Specialty areas such as hydraulics, pumps, A/C, gas and diesel engines, welding;
* Occupational hazards and safe work practices.
Skills (position requirements at entry):
* Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction;
* Diagnose and repair operations problems on light, medium, and heavy equipment and vehicles
* Prepare and maintain accurate work records of maintenance work;
* Perform the manual/physical essential functions.