Recreation Technician - Part Time ($18.72/Hr.)
This is a paraprofessional level in the recreation series. Incumbents must be familiar with the specific program they are working in and be knowledgeable of other available resources. Incumbents are responsible for implementing programs or projects as directed, conducting program related research, teaching educational classes or volunteers and providing referral services to customers. Incumbents serve as a lead to part-time workers and/or volunteers.
- Examples of Duties
TYPICAL CLASS ESSENTIAL DUTIES: (These duties are a representative sample; position assignments may vary.)
1. Plans, organizes, and coordinates activities to promote the Town's recreation programs and events. Presents program/event information at a variety of meetings, outreach events and public speaking opportunities.
2. Coordinates with the Marketing Division in developing a marketing and public information strategy, and media plan for recreation programs and events.
3. Updates/maintains the Town's parks and recreation website using a content management system (CMS) on a daily basis; create and design web pages; converts files to PDF formatting, prepares graphics for web use; scans or digitally compresses photographs and other artwork; generates e-mails, correspondence and instructional materials to notify users of policies, outages, and other web and internet information; develops online discussion forums and/or similar interactive tools that solicit information and feedback from the community.
4. Generates creative copy for marketing materials and community outreach, including brochures, newsletters, social media, signage, etc.
5. Coordinates a variety of signage calendars, editorial calendars, graphic design schedules, etc.
6. Assists with the implementation of recreational programs and activities; leads and monitors program participants.
7. Guides and counsels park patrons/program participants on park/program rules, care of equipment and acceptable conduct in a helpful, positive manner; assists park patrons/program participants in providing information, direction, and education and responds to complaints, inquiries, and information requests.
8. Provides prompt and courteous customer service in the front desk area in person and on telephone; responds to requests for information; answers routine questions; directs customers to appropriate department for assistance.9. Creates and maintains clear, accurate and concise reports including, but not limited to incidents, programs, activities, enforcement actions, and related documents.
10. Assists in the identification and resolution of safety and maintenance issues within town-owned properties and other facilities that the Town partners with.
11. Attends staff meetings as required; seeks out and attends training/learning opportunities to gain additional knowledge in specific areas of responsibility.
12. Performs other duties of a similar nature or level.
- Typical Qualifications
Training and Experience (positions in this class typically require):
High School Diploma, or G.E.D., and two years of experience related to area of assignment; or, an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job such as those listed above.
Knowledge (position requirements at entry):
1.Digital media and website development, marketing, communications, or a related field.
2. First aid methods and necessary safety precautions used in recreational activities;
3. Customer Service principles.
Skill in:1. Proficient technological skills including; MS Office, social media, data management and the ability to learn new technology.
2. Strong organizational skills with exceptional attention to detail while managing multiple tasks and changing priorities.
3. Interpreting rules and regulations and apply them to practical situations;
4. Planning, organizing and problem solving;
5. Operating standard office equipment including a personal computer using program applications appropriate to assigned duties;
6. Communication, interpersonal skills as applied to interaction with coworkers, supervisor, the general public, etc. sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.
- Supplemental Information
Licensing Requirements (positions in this class typically require):
Some positions may require:
* AZ Drivers License
* CPR/First Aid/AED
This position has been identified as a safety-sensitive position by Human Resources, per State and/or Federal Law. Upon conditional offer of employment, the candidate selected will be required to undergo testing for alcohol and controlled substances within twenty-four (24) hours of the offer acceptance.